Statement from Gunnar Mey, Department Director, Industrial Solutions, Messe Stuttgart, as part of the opening press conference on 31 May 2016
LASYS 2016, the international trade fair for laser material processing, opens its doors today for the 5th time at Messe Stuttgart. Three exciting exhibition days lie ahead of exhibitors and visitors, during which the focus is on everything to do with the use of laser as a diverse tool in industrial manufacturing today and in the future. Until June 2 a total of 181 exhibitors from 15 countries present the following in Hall 4 on over 3,800 square metres of exhibition space:
• intelligent system solutions,
• established and innovative manufacturing methods,
• special fields of applications,
• new applications
• and industry trends and innovations.
Many of the exhibiting companies at LASYS have been on board since the première in 2008. But also this year the trade fair is once again recording newcomers on the exhibitor side from home and abroad.
LASYS highlights its international character with more than one third of foreign exhibitors and this year with two special joint stands:
• the International Pavilion with ten participants from four countries and
• the French joint stand "ESPACE Laser s'invite sur LASYS" with eight exhibitors.
This is a result of the initiative "LASYS meets…", with which the trade fair is strengthening the topic of laser material processing worldwide - also in the future. Just like French companies are showcasing themselves here at LASYS, a joint stand of LASYS will also be represented from 19 - 21 September 2017 at Espace Laser in Strasbourg. An appearance at Photonics West is also planned for the beginning of 2017.
Over the next three exhibition days we are expecting 5,500 skilled workers and managers from industry. At LASYS they obtain answers in their search for different processing methods in order to increase quality, productivity and efficiency in production. They also have the opportunity to experience live demonstrations of the laser production systems on show - hands-on.
Numerous companies use LASYS to unveil new and further developments to the public for the first time:
• For instance, visitors at the TRUMPF stand can see how the new additive manufacturing machine TruPrint 1000 generates components from metal powder using a laser beam. There is also a demonstration on how copper welding is possible virtually without spattering using the green pulsed laser. Many visitors are really excited to see the global première, which was announced as a logical further development and optimisation of the best-selling product.
• FANUC also has a surprise up its sleeve: The company presents the YLR fibre laser. A highlight at the stand is a demonstration cell with fibre laser and two robots for cutting pipe sections.
• Laserline is also exhibiting a première. The developer and manufacturer of diode lasers showcases the new Laserline CCA12 water-air cooler. It can be seen together with the fibre-coupled high-performance diode laser LDF 11.000-60.
There are also lots of new and exciting products to discover at other exhibition stands, such as at the stand of the Laser Centre Hanover, where laser cutting under water is presented.
In addition to the established providers, eight young, innovative companies are represented at LASYS with their solutions at the joint stand sponsored by the Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy.
The German Engineering Federation (VDMA), a conceptual supporter of the trade fair, takes into account the young talent in the industry and offers young visitors to its stand access to the future technology of photonics in a playful way. As part of its presentation exhibits from the "Make Light" initiative, the Open Photonics Initiative of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, are on show.
• a DIY kit for a laser cutter and engraver,
• a laser labyrinth and
• a Michelson interferometer which was built entirely from LEGO pieces, except for the optics and laser.
In addition to the products and services on offer from the exhibitors, the accompanying programme provides diverse networking opportunities, and, above all, the chance to benefit from the know-how and expertise of proven experts and industry insiders. The highlights include:
• the "Lasers in Action" forum of the magazine "Laser Systems Europe" and the Laser Institute of America on all three days in the trade fair hall (Stand 4A51),
• the various Solution Centres, where experts from the Bavarian Laser Centre (Stand 4D03), the Institut für Strahlwerkzeuge of Universität Stuttgart (Stand 4B10), the Fraunhofer Institute for Material and Beam Technology (Stand 4C31), as well as the Laser Centre Hanover (Stand 4E35), are on hand to answer visitors' questions,
• the Stuttgart Laser Days of the Institut für Strahlwerkzeuge of the Universität Stuttgart, which takes place today and tomorrow in the ICS (International Congress Center Stuttgart) (Room C1),
• the Stuttgart Laser Marketplace organised by Optech Consulting in cooperation with the Stuttgart Laser Technology Forum on 1 June (ICS (International Congress Center Stuttgart), Room C6.2),
• the "Beginners' Workshop 4.0 in Toolmaking" of the Association of German Tool and Mould Makers on 1 June (ICS (International Congress Center Stuttgart), Room C7.2),
• and the "International Symposium on Laser Micro-Fabrication" of the AIMEN Technology Centre on 2 June (ICS (International Congress Center Stuttgart), Room C7).
The following trade fairs coincide once again with LASYS in 2016:
• the automotive trade fairs of the British organiser UKIP Media & Events,
• O&S - the international trade fair for surface treatments and coatings,
• as well as parts2clean - the leading international trade fair for industrial parts and surface cleaning.
Visitors can attend all trade fairs free of charge with the LASYS ticket.
As the only international trade fair, LASYS clearly focuses on system solutions in laser material processing. Since the start of the trade fair in 2008, it has successfully established itself as a user platform for the latest laser systems, machines and processes. LASYS addresses all industries and materials, in particular decision-makers from the international industry. The focus is on all tried-and-tested, but also innovative, manufacturing processes, applications and potential uses of laser in industrial manufacturing.
Other trade fairs are also taking place parallel to LASYS 2016 at the Stuttgart trade fair grounds, which create synergy effects for the visitors: the automotive shows with Automotive Testing Expo Europe, Engine Expo, Automotive Interiors Expo, Global Automotive Components and Suppliers Expo, and the Autonomous Vehicle Test & Development Symposium, as well as O&S, the international trade fair for surface treatments and coatings, and parts2clean, the leading international trade fair for industrial parts and surface cleaning.
The VDMA is a professional and conceptual supporter of LASYS.
LASYS takes place at the Stuttgart trade fair centre from 31 May to 2 June 2016.
Further information is available online at www.lasys-fair.com.